Blood + Belonging is a unique journey of storytelling, ritual, + magic to deepen connection with the ancestors.
It begins in the soil, then the body, and then through the gut and the hands. It is non-linear time healing. It is a collective space to learn how to better human ourselves. It’s a journey of reclaiming roots, restoring relations, and reclaiming mysteries.
We’ll practice ancestral arts for tending, remembering, and being with what (and who) has been lost. We will lean into what it means to rematriate as so-called Europeans on stolen land.
It’s healing work. It’s spellwork. It’s dreamwork. It's being with the land, for the land, in repair. It’s grief and celebration. It’s stories told by, and through, you. We can all have a powerful, connective, healing, collective magical belonging. We can all be taken by the longing, together.
Blood and Belonging is a vessel to be with your own personal —yet essentially collective—ancestral healing and wisdom.
A journey of reconnection and reclamation in a magically held collective space.
Through ancestral storytelling, ritual, tarot, and land/bodywork, this 9-month experience unearths what has been composted in the ancestral dirt.
We will learn, explore, and embrace practices, stories, and the innate magic of your ancient, and not so ancient, people.
We will sit with harder, historical ancestral truths that each of us carries and dig deeper until we unveil the stories that need to be told and give them voice.
WE will NOT bypass the non-consensual, and consensual assimilation, colonization, and trauma our bloodlines hold and have caused. We will sit with this and acknowledge a cultural body that was traded in for whiteness. We will not ignore our grief or our longing. They are the portals to enter through.
Guided by our ancestors, we will reclaim a better, more whole, more wild way of being alive through our senses, our hands, our guts, our arts, our magic, our medicine.
Due to the nature of this specific program, I recommend this for people who feel called to examine the deeply complex and challenging truths of any part of their so-called European* ancestral histories and racialized whiteness.
This journey is open and designed for participants of any ancestral magic, memory, and heritage, biological or not. This program is designed for all genders.
There is room for you - you will be held with love. Please come as you are, who you are, as messy and unsettled and wild as you are.
I invite you into the collective spell. I invite you to be with grief and dance in joy. I invite you to remember.
Throughout the 9 month journey, we weave these threads through our unschooling:
- Storytelling - stories help us remember so we practice writing them throughout the entirety to tap in, get clear, receive information, and leave something to give.
- Somatic practices - we spend time with our bodies, our ancestral bodies, and the earth body. -- we use very accessible and simple practices over and over that communicate with our endocrine and nervous systems, so deeper work can be done with more ease and less taxing on our bodies.
- Rituals - Through ritual we materialize, together. This is collective work.
- Oracle/tarot Cards - The cards will guide us. Our ancestors used oracle to lead the way. So will we. Once a month we have a specific oracle gathering to learn, unlearn, and practice being with becoming oracles.
- Ancestral arts - as my friend Rachael says, “we learn to dismantle through making.” We’ll craft ancestral folk arts. Plant medicines, protective amulets, breads that are spells, sauces that are songs. We’ll make what our ancestors are craving to make through us.
- Animism - Constantly remembering and practicing there is life and spirit and being-ness in all things.
Things to expect:
- Typically 4 Monthly Live Video Classroom Calls
(to ground you in course themes).
These will always be recorded.
- Video content
- Hands-on rituals, recipes, arts, creating
- Storytelling processing
- Oracle art practices
- Community weaving and connecting. Together we hold and recover cultural soma.
- Incredible guest teachers every month (along with their own ancestors) who will share their points of practice and interest and magic from their own cultural belongings and longings.
- A digital PDF workbook for recording, something to save and pass on.
- A medicine box delivered snail mail from me to you with plants and tools to support you on your journey (elixirs, salts, amulets, oils).
- Pre-game: the art of simple altar-building inside and outside + creating a practice of offering.
- October: Land and soil. Practicing and honoring/relationship to colonized land. Relationship to ancestral land. Rituals with land.
- November: Body. Your body. The ancestral body. Somatic practices to connect with the ancestors within.
- December: Food as an ancestor. As a holy feeding for your ancestors. As a holy feeding for each other.
- January: Slowing down to sleep. Incubating for ancestral messages while asleep. Become the oracle. Devotion to ancestral sleep deity.
- February: Hungry ghosts + Collective Protection: spells, curse removal, amulets, prayers.
- March: Plants as ancestors. Rising with spring through herbs and plant medicine making.
- April: Grief + Death rituals (personal, cultural, systemic). Communing the Chthonic and learning to express it above ground.
- May: Storytelling | ancestral record-keeping and lineage prose. Here we practice giving voice to what you have learned, forgotten, and long to remember. We get to retell the stories.
- June: Reclaim + Recap. What are your family (ancient + present) practices of song, dance, celebrations. Become the future ancestors. What will we pass on? What have we practiced exorcising in our lineages?
I do not guide with any kind of hierarchy. Everything we do, we do together. That said, I hold a tight, brave, integral, compassionate, and truthful circle so we feel liberated to get free within it and push hard against it and soften deeply into it.
You will be held accountable by me (in the most loving, real ways).
You will be honored.
You will be trusted that you are doing the work your ancestors are asking of you.
You will have the space to grapple and thrash.
You will have opportunities to work with people who can support you in more logistic ancestral research if needed.
You will show up for this journey fully guided.
You will come away from it with a new way of passing on culture, magic, and ancestral ways of being.
You will have new practices and medicines and wisdom to use every day.
This program is open and designed for participants of any ancestral magic, memory, and heritage, biological or not. There is room for you and you will be held.
You will practice tending to ancestral wounds and honoring ancestral resilience.
I will be guiding this journey through the lens of my personal Mediterranean-American, Euro-American, Southern Italian, Sicilian, + Polish cultural lenses & will be using my tried and true ancestral tool basket to guide you (ie. it’s going to be Sicilian as fuck because that is who I am and also I am beyond that, into deep time and deep ancient ancestry).
“Blood and belonging answers the sweeping call to return--to body, to land, to each other. It is about reverence, grief, ancestry, connection. It is a container that is able to hold the deepest of dives, the Big Questions, the messy and confused, the sacred unknown. It is not a space to evade, bypass, or stay in the strictly solar ways of being and knowing many of us have been taught, but that clearly are limited in scope and potential. It is an incredible tool that says "yes, I will meet you" to the current moment of complex, multilayered liminality. Blood and belonging is an opportunity to tune in at the cellular level, to feel in your body what it means to belong, as in to BE in a constant state of LONGing and remembering. There will be no neatly packaged present at the end, but, if pursued consistently, softly, and intentionally, it will offer endless opportunities for presence, and steady whispers of where we are going and where we've been."
- Kendra, 2021
A little about me:
Blood + Belonging is a culmination of over 25 years of my own intentional practices of reclaiming and healing my own Italian and Sicilian American ancestral stories through earth-based, body-based, magical ways.
It comes from a lifetime of lived experiences and familial teachings. It comes from decades of research, writing, and curating a body of work that I am ready and greatly honored to offer up to you for your own magical cultural reclamation — and to do so with integrity.
I am a mother, writer, drummer, and artist. I have studied plants, prayers, movement, birth, music, and ancestral healing with some of the most incredible teachers. You can read my whole “about” here.
May we create a healing incubator that uses our folkways to come undone together.
May each who feel called to join this community come prepared to worship mystery, to lean into hard lessons, to be in deep practice of magic in togetherness.
May we witness each other change and evolve.
May each of our visions and life paths on earth get clear and potent. May our ancestors guide us closer to our purpose in this world, now.
May our well ancestors join forces, together, to support us.
May we focus on cultural healing. May we focus on remembering our intact roots.
May we notice signs and alignments. May we pay attention to symbols and sounds.
May we create loving and powerful relationships with our ancestors.
May we get real about how our everyday lives are already folk wisdom schools.
May we honor our bodies as ancestral bodies.
May we sit with the nervous system and endocrine system in practice to help us to gently unravel trauma history and create space for radical healing and magic to flow freely within.
May this hard work be a path we devote ourselves to.
May we create a stunning, powerful ancestral revolution, within, without, below, above.
May we open up to a new and ancient world, a just and restored world, that is waiting for us.