At our deepest and most basic way of being - we are collective protection.
As I have researched and dove into the stories around “mal’occhio” I have come to realize that it’s not just an act of protecting the self or a ritual of removing an attachment — it’s actually a philosophy, a way of being that centers the village as a living organism, that understands time/space as nonlinear and spiralic, and is at it’s essence “anti-capitalistic” — whatever that might have meant before it was languages in that way.
Collective Protection was a way of being for our people, all people, and from the researched and lived lens of being Southern Italian American, I am realizing there is so much more to practice than just amulet wearing and getting transmitted the “the cure” or feeling like you “have the eye”.
None of it can really be sensed or experienced without leaning deeply into the way of living and being of collective protection, which some may call today “mutual care” or “mutual aid” — but oftentimes we wear this and we do this without an encultured context — an understanding that this was a way of being that not only protected and fortified the self, but also the “other selves” the collective.
One could not be protected without living as protection for others.
One could not ward off the eye unless they could sit with their own jealousy, greed, or powers that could throw an attachment.
One could not understand how to ritualize and protect without knowing that they could be the person being protected against.
CHI SIAMO: PROTEZIONE COLLECTIVA
COLLECTIVE PROTECTION IS A CULTURAL PHILOSOPHY, A SOMATIC BODY WITHIN ITSELF, AND ONE THAT HAS BEEN ATTEMPTED TO BE SEVERED FROM US.
One that even in our own culture we have received a narrative that “the other might be bad” and we need to separate and protect ourselves from “their eye” and without a togetherness of fortification. This new narrative broke apart villages, families, and deeper ways of cultural being, together.
And also, there are people and entities in the world around us that are malicious, extractive, and can cause harm. This is true and real, and a real issue especially when it comes to creative being versus commodity culture.
IN THIS 5-PART LIVE SERIES WE WILL:
- Learn the history and philosophy of malocchio as a collective practice against invasive energies and empires
- Explore collective protection work as relationship work and not individual work.
- Consider how we interact, extract, and unskillfully work with the energy of malice.
- Consider how we interact with those who hold energy of extraction around us.
- Discuss how grief and mourning metabolisation are intricately connected to collective protection.
- Examine collective fortification from the old days, the new days, and how
- Consider how we behave in the “public eye” on social media — how we “throw the eye” as well as “catch it”
- Learn about plants, saints, and very specific prayers that southern Italian culture used to collectively invoke protection energy while fortifying the body and self.
- Practice being in relationship to amulets and tools of protection.
- Participate in protection ritual with an intention to move forward, not as perfection, but to slowly re-member this within our own bodies. To "see" better when there is "the eye" coming, to hold protective boundaries, and to insist on non-extractive ways of cultural being.
LIVE CALL + CONTENT SCHEDULE
All calls are held via Zoom and recordings will be available within 24 hours to all participants.
Thursday, September 7th | 11am - 12pm EST- LIVE CALL
Thursday, September 14th | VIDEO AND WRITTEN CONTENT / WORKBOOK DELIVERY
Thursday, September 21st | 11am - 12pm EST- LIVE CALL
Thursday, September 28th | VIDEO AND WRITTEN CONTENT / WORKBOOK DELIVERY
Thursday, October 26th | 6pm-8pm EST- FINAL LIVE CALL
COLLECTIVE PROTECTION IS FOR ALL OF US.
-Have you wondered how to stay in the practice of collective protection and fortification while sharing and being vulnerable on social media?
-Have you thought about why certain amulets such as the cornicello, nazar (blue eye) or mano fica (among others) matter? How do we potentize them to work?
-Are you comfortable talking about extraction, evil, and bullshit that we all partake in and allow in our lives? And consciously begin to practice collective protection to shift and alchemize this?
-Would you like to know more about specific saint ancestors and ancient prayers that can move us toward collective protection?
-If you answered yes, this series may be for you.
*****TRIGGER WARNING: we will talk about capitalism, extraction, land grabs, commodification, and our own jealous bullshit. Ready?*****
Choose Your Payment Plan
Those who choose the higher price point are making it possible for this scholarship and the lowest price point to happen. Thank you.
Please choose with integrity, and honesty, truly considering your economic reality and resources. Your resources can help subsidize not only me and my work, but those who cannot pay full price for my classes. Showing up this way IS practicing collective protection. This is who we are and who we desire to be.